In the House of Virgin Mary, which is declared sacred by the Vatican, Muslims, as well as Christians from all over the world, pray and make a vow for the pilgrimage.
When Jesus was crucified in Jerusalem by the Romans, he was 33 years old. Before Jesus draws his last breath, Jesus delivers his mother, Mary, to her close friend Saint Jean. St. Jean thought that Jerusalem might be dangerous for Mother Mary, and brought him to Ephesus, the famous city of that time (AD 33). Since Ephesus was in the administration of the Romans, she kept Mary in the forest on the back of Mount Bulbul and built a house.
Saint Jean is said to have written his Bible here. His grave is in the Saint Jean Basilica in Selcuk. It is reported that Mother Mary lived to the age of 101 and her tomb is in the north-east of the Panayir Mountain.
The discovery of Virgin Mary’s House in Bülbül Dağ near the ancient city of Ephesus in İzmir’s Selçuk province begins with the dream of Anya Katharina Emmerick (1774-1824), a peasant woman who has never come to Ephesus. The dreams follow each other and say, “Mother Mary’s House is on the mountain behind Ephesus, that it sees both Ephesus and the sea, there is cool spring water”. Katherine, the nun who never went out of Germany, collects all these dreams in a book. The book, titled “The Life of the Virgin Mary,” is of great interest to the Christian world. In 1881, considering this book the Vatican starts looking for Mother Mary’s House.
10 years later, Eugene Poulin, the Director of Izmir College of French and Hebrew specialist and well-known Jewish tradition, examines the book of Katharina Emmerick and decides to organize a trip to Ephesus. Two priests and two Catholics will be appointed even though he doesn’t go there.
On July 27, 1891, four people set off. In Ephesus, a person named Mustafa, who knows the locals well, is asked for help. But a while ago an Armenian Catholic priest have claimed to have found something in Degirmendere, so they wander from Aziziye (Çamlık) instead of Ayasuluk (Selcuk). When they came to the Orthodox monastery in Degirmendere, the chairman of the delegation. Jung, asks the papa there, “Where did the Virgin Mary die?” He answers “in Jerusalem”.
Since the trip to Değirmendere brings no positive results, the four searchers decide to stay in Kusadasi and continue their research by moving from Ayasuluk with a compass in their hands the following day and taking the book of Katharina Emmerick as a guide.
On July 29, 1891, at 11:00 am, they arrive jadedly at a small plateau with tobacco. Since they are thirsty, they want water from women working in the field. “We do not have any water, but go to the monastery and you will find water there.” replied the women. With this sign, they show a house that has been quite ruined.
After slaking thoroughly their thirst, four researchers look around and are very surprised. The ruined house, the mountain behind the house, the sea in front of them … It was the depiction made by Katharina Emmerick for the house of Mary … In the book of Katharina Emmerick, it was written that the hillside where Mother Mary’s Home was located, Ephesus and the sea were seen from the top of the mountain. For two days he run from one hill to the other, but Ephesus and the sea have not appeared anywhere else except the hill of the mountain where Mother Mary’s House is located. So they return to Izmir and they begin to explain happily that they have found Mary’s house.